Described by The Irish Times as a 'Dragon's Den for writers', the Novel Fair is an Irish Writers Centre initiative which aims to introduce up-and-coming writers to top publishers and literary agents, giving novelists the opportunity to bypass the slush pile, pitch their ideas and place their synopsis and sample chapters directly into the hands of publishers and agents.
Over the past few years a range of publishers and agents have attended the Fair including Penguin Random House Ireland, Hachette Ireland, Transworld Ireland, Curtis Brown, New Island Books, O’Brien Press/Brandon, Liberties Press, Lilliput Press, Tramp Press, The Book Bureau, Marianne Gunn O’Connor Literary Agency, Jonathan Williams Literary Agency, Lisa Richards Agency, Feldstein Agency and Author Rights Agency and New York based agent Regal Hoffmann & Associates.
There have been a number of success stories since the Novel Fair has been established, such as:
- Janet E. Cameron’s novel Cinnamon Toast (Hachette)
- Niamh Boyce’s novel The Herbalist (Penguin Ireland) which was longlisted for IMPAC 2015
- Beatsploitation by Kevin Curran (Liberties Press)
- Here In No Place by Alan Timmons' (New Island)
- The Reluctant Cannibal by Ian Flitcroft (Legend Press)
- Daniel Seery’s novel A Model Partner (Liberties Press)
- Susan Lanigan’s White Feathers (Brandon Press)
- Eggshells by Caitriona Lally (Liberties Press)
- Andrea Carter's novel Death at Whitewater Church (Constable & Robinson)
- Swimming on Dry Land by Helen Blackhurst (Seren)
The Novel Fair 2017 submissions period has closed. We will be notifying all Novel Fair applicants about their entry at the end of January. Please be patient until then.
The Fair itself takes place on 18 February 2017.
Take a look at our video of Novel Fair 2015 to get a flavour for just how exciting this event can be!
Before entering the competition, please ensure that you have read the Terms & Conditions very carefully as the Fair is open to previously unpublished aspiring novelists only.
Read up on Novel Fair 2017 Terms & Conditions here.
Download a Novel Fair 2017 Application Form here.
** NB: if your submission is postmarked as 21 October, we will still accept it when the envelope arrives early next week. **
** We are currently receiving a lot of submissions and are doing our best to send confirmation emails (including receipt of payment) as soon as possible. We hope to finish this process by Friday 28 October and we would ask you to please be patient until then! However, if you have any valid concerns about the whereabouts of your manuscript, you can email email@example.com Thanks! **
Our media partner: