Writing for a Change: Flash Fiction Competition
The Irish Writers Centre is delighted to announce a Flash Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction competition themed around Climate Change in partnership with the National Botanic Gardens and the Five Lamps Arts Festival.
Climate change and the environment are constant subjects of discussion, but it can be hard to stay aware of the need to be consciously active in making environmental improvements in our daily lives. In this competition, we are asking writers to embrace the concept of climate change through short new pieces of contemporary writing which reflect or illustrate this subject in an innovative and relevant manner.
To help inspire potential entrants, the National Botanic Gardens will be organising a special free tour of the garden led by an experienced member of staff who will explore the role of the gardens and ponder the impact climate change may have on the future. This tour will take place on Sunday the 3rd of February 2019 at 2.00pm and while it is not a prerequisite or a condition for entering the competition, we encourage participation if you are thinking of entering, as it will be invaluable in helping to shape your ideas for you submission(s). The tour will start at the Visitor Centre and there is no need to sign up.
On 4 April a showcase event will be held in the Botanic Gardens from 7:30pm-9:30pm where winners will read their work alongside commissioned writers.
There will be four winners: two Irish language winners, one over 30 and one under 30, and two English language winners, one over 30 and one under 30.
- Entries are welcomed in English or Irish
- Entries must be under 400 words (longer pieces will be disqualified)
- We’re happy to accept either fiction or creative non-fiction pieces (this excludes poetry or other forms of writing)
- Entries are free and you may enter up to 3 submissions.
The deadline for submissions is 27 February at 5pm.
Send entries to email@example.com with Botanic Flash Fiction in the subject line. Entries should include your name, email address and phone number. If you’re under 30, please also include your date of birth.
Each of the four winners will receive:
- A place on a one-day writing workshop at the IWC
- Publication in a partner Irish literary magazine (Books Ireland)
- €50 book voucher
- Opportunity to read at the competition event alongside IWC commissioned writers in the Botanic Gardens on April 4th, 2019