16 February, 2022
IWC/Cúirt Young Writer Delegate Programme 2022
We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to Cúirt as IWC/Cúirt Young Writer Delegates.
In 2022, the Irish Writers Centre will launch a new 5 year strategy. For over 30 years the IWC has acknowledged and uplifted those with the courage and compulsion to write by providing opportunities for them to develop their skill, advance their ambitions and join a vibrant and diverse community of people who share their passion and purpose.
At the Irish Writers Centre, we seek to enhance opportunities for people across all communities to explore and participate in creative writing. Now in its fifth year, the IWC Young Writer Delegates Programme is intended to give young writers an opportunity to immerse themselves in a literature festival, soak up the atmosphere and to contribute to it as active participants. The selected four young writers will attend Cúirt Festival events, and reflect on their experiences through social media.
During this period, they will be supported by an IWC facilitator, and writer mentor to reflect on the festival, develop creative work, and share their views via Cúirt and the IWC’s social media platforms. Delegates will also be provided with a small honorarium for participation in a creative showcase, along with free tickets to each of the events.
Please note: We are very glad to be returning to in-person events this year, with accommodation provided for three participants from outside the Galway area, with the fourth delegate joining from Galway.
When: Tuesday 5th – Sunday 10th April 2022
Eligibility: This programme is open to writers aged 18-26 living anywhere on the island of Ireland with strong interest in writing, reading and an ambition to connect with and contribute to the Irish literary scene.
We encourage young writers from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Irish literature to apply. We particularly invite applications from BIPOC, Traveller, LGBTQIA+, Irish Language and working-class writers. We will place a strong focus on ethnicity, race, and socioeconomic status when evaluating the applications for this opportunity.
How to Apply: You will need to send:
- A short cover letter including home postal address saying clearly and concisely why you would like to be selected as a Young Writer Delegate, how you think your writing would benefit, and how you think you can contribute to the Festival using social media or other platforms to draw attention to the festival.
- A Curriculum Vitae (max. two A4 pages) including any written work which may have been published online or in print.
- Two differing samples of work (max. 500 words each)
Compile ALL of the above into a single attachment in Word or pdf and send to email@example.com. Incorrect formatting will disqualify.
Criteria for selection:
- Eligibility – Participants must be resident on the island of the Ireland for a period of not less than one year
- Intent – the cover letter expressing the applicant’s intent and reason for taking part is key in informing our decisions. Be sure to tell us your ideas on how your presence as a delegate will add value to the festival
- Geography – we are seeking applications from all over the island, with at least one local writer from the Galway area to be selected
- Incomplete or late applications cannot be not considered
Application Deadline: Wednesday 9 March, 2022 at 5pm
Applicants will receive email confirmation on submission of their application, and finalists can expect to hear results of the call by 16th March.