IWC/Cúirt Young Writer Delegates Programme 2020
We invite ambitious young writers aged 18-26 to apply for this extraordinary opportunity to attend and contribute to Cúirt as IWC/Cúirt Young Writer Delegates.
Programme Description: First initiated at Cúirt International Literature Festival in 2018, the IWC Young Writer Delegates Programme is intended to give young writers an opportunity to immerse themselves in a literature festival, soak up the atmosphere and to contribute to it as active participants. The selected four young writers will be given festival passes and six days of full literary immersion in its events and social life. They will also participate in an open mic reading and be engaged in writing activities leading up to, during and after the festival.
During the festival period, they will be supported by an IWC facilitator and local writer mentor to reflect on the festival programme and their experience in it, and to share their views via Cúirt and the IWC's social media platforms.
Full information on this year's Cúirt International Festival of Literature programme is available at www.cuirt.ie
When: 20-25 April 2020
Eligibility: This programme is open to writers aged 18-26 living anywhere on the island of Ireland with strong interest in writing, reading and an ambition to connect with and contribute to the Irish literary scene. Writers from diverse backgrounds are welcomed, as Irish language writers (however applications must be sent in both English and Irish).
Accommodation will be arranged for the selected young writers.
How to Apply: You will need to send:
- A short cover letter including home postal address saying clearly and concisely why you would like to be selected as a Young Writer Delegate and how you think you can contribute to the festival using social media or other platforms to draw attention to the festival.
- A Curriculum Vitae (max. two A4 pages) including any written work which may have been published online or in print.
- Two differing samples of work (max. 500 words each)
- Applications from Irish language writers should be bilingual
- If you’re also applying for the ILFD Young Writer Delegate programme, please ensure you treat it as a separate application with a different letter of intent. Supplemental material may be the same.
Compile ALL of the above into a single attachment in Word or pdf and send to email@example.com. Incorrect formatting will disqualify.
Criteria for selection:
- Eligibility – Participants must be resident on the island of the Ireland for a period of not less than two years.
- Intent - the cover letter expressing the applicant's intent and reason for taking part is key in informing our decisions. Be sure to tell us your ideas on how your presence as a delegate will add value to the festival.
- Quality of writing samples
- Geography – we are seeking applications from all over the island.
- Incomplete or late applications cannot be not considered
Application Deadline: Wednesday 11 March, 5PM