I’m a writer, what can you do for me?
- Provide information on events and competitions online and through our weekly newsletter – sign up on our homepage
- Provide you with an ideal space for your book launch or event
- Offer you a wide range of creative writing courses
- For Members we can provide a quiet space with WiFi for you to write in our beautiful Georgian building.
- A space for you to join or set-up a writing group
- Basic information on publishing, copyright, competitions in our resources page.
- Information for professional writers through meetings, seminars and courses
- Opportunities to work as a facilitator or mentor emerging writers
- Further opportunities such as bursaries and participating in panels are available as well.
What does membership involve?
All you need to know about membership is here.
What creative writing courses are coming up?
We offer a wide variety of creative writing and professional development workshops and seminars. Check out our upcoming courses here.
Do I need to submit any materials prior to my course?
This largely depends on the course in question. It is uncommon that you will need to submit any materials prior to the start of your course. The higher level courses will sometimes require samples of your work to be submitted to the facilitator in advance of the course. If this is the case you will be notified shortly after you make your booking.
Do you offer writing courses for children?
We do offer workshops aimed at teens and young adults but they are infrequent. Have a look at our course catalogue to see if there are any on at the moment.
What is your refund policy?
Should a participant need to cancel 3 weeks or more prior to a course or event, they will receive a refund minus the booking fee of 10% or receive credit to be used within 12 months of the date of the initial payment.
Should a participant need to cancel between 3 weeks to 1 week prior to the start of a course or event, they may transfer to another course or event of equal value or receive credit to be used within 12 months of the date of the initial payment.
Cancellation or transfer requests made 1 week prior or less to a course or event will not receive a refund, but may receive credit or the option to transfer to another course if booking numbers for the course from which they are transferring is currently over 6 participants. If the request is made due to illness, in advance of beginning the course, the participant will need to present a doctor's note and will be given the option to transfer to another course or event at a later date.
Can I have my event at the Centre?
Yes, click the following link to see how to organize an event at the Centre.
Can I come to your Open Mic night?
Of course, Takin the Mic usually takes place the last Friday of the month from 7–9pm. You can come to perform or just to listen and hang out. See What’s on at the Centre for info on our next open mic night.
How much should I get payed for an event?
Payment varies depending on the scale and length of the event. You can take a look at the various rates at various venues here.
I have a question about getting payed for work I have done. Can you help?
This sounds like a problem for the Irish Writers Union. We do have the same postal address but they do not have a physical location. You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website here.
Do you have any opportunities for playwrights?
We do offer playwriting courses here at the centre so make sure to have a look at our course catalogue at the start of every new program. You may also like to check out the annual Scripts Ireland Playwriting Festival or the Abbey Theatre.
Do you have any opportunities for screenwriters?
We do offer the occasional screenwriting course. However, you may want to check out script.ie for more information concerning playwriting and screenwriting.
I’m looking to promote my work. Can you help?
We do not promote the work of any writer in particular, however, if you have an event like a book launch or talk we may be able to give you a boost on social media. We have compiled an information sheet with other tips about promoting you and your work. You can find it here.
Do you offer any funding opportunities?
There are some opportunities for funding which have various application requirements and deadlines. Please have a look at our awards, bursaries and grants page to see if you may be eligible to apply.
I'd like to join a Writing Group.
Great, we host lots of writing groups at the Centre, find out how to join one here.
Can you give me feedback on my writing?
There are a few different way to get feedback, all incur different costs:
- Ask a trusted and honest friend who is a good reader.
- Join a Writing Group. They’ll tend to be a bit more honest with you and you’ll get to learn from other writers mistakes. It’s €5 per meeting at the IWC.
- Join a Creative Writing Workshop. In most workshops, the professional tutor will give you feedback on your work in a group setting and guide you in the right direction. You’ll also be surrounded by writers interested in the same form who can also give honest feedback. Read the course outlines carefully to find the right course for you. If you’re unsure, email info@writerscentre or call us at 01 8721302.
- One-to-one Mentoring. This is expensive as you’re paying for the time and attention of a professional writer with a proven track record but it can be an incredibly rewarding and worthwhile experience. Mentors can also provide great industry or professional development advice. It’s not recommended for beginners, who would benefit more from a workshop or joining a writing group.
Do you list writing opportunities?
Yes, we keep a list of competitions, bursaries and other opportunities for writers here.
Do you have a list of publishers in Ireland?
Yes, take a look here.
Do you have a list of literary agents in Ireland?
Yes, take a look here.
Do you have a list of journals in Ireland?
Yes, take a look here.
Do you sell Gift Vouchers?
Yes, we can provide gift vouchers for any amount. Find out more about them here.
Do you have a Library?
Yes, we have a library for use by members. It’s not a lending library but members can drop in any time to peruse the shelves. It hosts a good collection of Irish writers in translation. Search the library catalogue here.
What else do you do?
Find out what we do here.